- Alatas, Ali The Pebble in The Shoe: The Diplomatic Struggle for East Timor. Aksara Karunia, Jakarta. 2006.
- Alves, Maria Domingas Fernandes, Laura Soares Abrantes & Filomena B. Reis (eds). Written in Blood Office for the Promotion of Equality, Dili, 2003.
- Araujo, Abilio Autobiografia de Abílio Araújo : Dato Siri Loe II. Aletheia, Lisboa. 2013. 348 pages.
- Barbedo de Magalhães, Antonio Timor-Leste: Interesses internacionais e actors locais. Edições Afrontamento, Porto. 2007. Volume 1: Da invasão australo-holandesa à decisão australo-indonésia de anexar, 1941-1974. Volume 2: A luta pela independência 1974-1999. Volume 3: A dificil construção do Estado democrático 1999-2007.
- Braithwaite, John and Hilary Charlesworth and Aderito Soares Networked Governance of Freedom and Tyranny: Peace in Timor-Leste. ANU Press, Canberra, 2012. 365 pages.
- Carrascalão, Mário Viegas Timor antes do futuro: Autobiografia Eng. Mario Viegas Carrascalao Livraria Mau Huran, Dili, 2006. 407 pages.
- CAVR Hear Our Voices
East Timorese photographed by Indonesian photographer Poriaman Sitanggang share their stories of pain and suffering with CAVR. The collection also includes short statements by these victims about their ideas for the future in Timor-Leste. Dili, 2005. 32 pages. Text: Tetum and English. Available online www.cavr-timorleste.org
- CAVR Public Hearing Books
CAVR held eight public hearings in Dili between November 2002 and March 2004 as part of its truth-seeking mandate. Books on seven of these hearings have been published in Tetum, English Indonesian and Portuguese. Subjects are: Women and the Conflict, Massacres, Forced Displacement and Famine, Political Imprisonment, Internal Political Conflict 1974-1976, Self-determination and the International Community, Children and the Conflict. Three of the books (Famine and Forced Displacement, Massacres, Women and the Conflict) are available online www.cavr-timorleste.org
- Cristalis, Irena East Timor, A Nation’s Bitter Dawn Zed Books, London, 2009 (first edition 2002). 340 pages.
- Cohen, David Intended to Fail: The Trials before the Ad Hoc Human Rights Court in Jakarta. ICTJ, 2003. This report focuses on 12 trials that took place before the Indonesian Ad Hoc Human Rights Court between March 2002 and August 2003. It analyses the prosecution efforts and quality of the judgments, and assesses the political and institutional context in which these trials took place. It concludes the trials were a failure on every level, from technical competence to institutional integrity and political will.
- Conway, Jude (ed.) Step by Step: Women of East Timor, Stories of Resistance and Survival. Charles Darwin University Press, 2010. 241 pages.
- Coupland, Emma The Comarca Balide Prison: A ‘Sacred Building’
- A short history of the former colonial prison in Dili that was rehabilitated in 2002 with Japanese funding and used by the CAVR as its national headquarters. 24 pages. Available online www.cavr-timorleste.org
- Cristalis, Irena & Catherine Scott. Independent women: the story of women’s activism in East Timor. Catholic Institute for International Relations, London. 2005.
- Dunn, James East Timor: A Rough Passage to Independence. Longueville Books, Sydney, 2003.
- Elson, Robert Edward Suharto: A Political Biography. Cambridge University Press, 2001. 389 pages
- Galuh Wandita, “Whose Justice Is It Anyway? Gendered Lessons in Transitional Justice in Timor-Leste,” in The Future of Asian Feminisms: Confronting Fundamentalisms, Conflicts and Neo-Liberalism, Nursyahbani Katjasungkana and Saskia E. Wieringa (ed.s), Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2012.
- Galuh Wandita, Karen Campbell-Nelson, Manuela Pereira, “Learning to Engender Reparations in Timor-Leste, Reaching Out to Female Victims” in What Happened to the Women?: Gender and Reparations for Human Rights Violations, Ruth Rubio-Marín (ed), ICTJ and Social Science Research Council, 2006.
- Greenlees, Don and Robert Garran Deliverance: The Inside Story of East Timor’s Fight for Freedom. Allen and Unwin, Sydney, 2002.
- Hayner, Priscilla B Unspeakable Truths: Transitional Justice and the Challenge of Truth Commissions. Taylor & Francis, 2010. 356 pages. A review of forty truth commissions, including East Timor’s CAVR.
- Kiki Syahnakri Timor Timur: The Untold Story. Kompas, Jakarta, 2013. 436 hal.
- Kohen, Arnold S From the Place of the Dead: the Epic Struggles of Bishop Belo of East Timor. St Martin’s Press, 1999. 352 pages.
- Kuntari, Cordula Maria Rien Timor Timur Satu Menit Terakhir: Catatan Seorang Wartawan. Mizan, 2008.
- Jolliffe, Jill Finding Santana. Wakefield Press, 2010. 177 pages
- Jolliffe, Jill Cover-up : the inside story of the Balibo Five Scribe Publications, Melbourne, 2001. 360 pages. A first-hand account of the deaths of five young television reporters who were killed by the Indonesian military in the East Timor border town of Balibo in October 1975.
- Martin, Ian Self-Determination in East Timor: The United Nations, the Ballot, and International Intervention. Lynne Rienner, Boulder, 2001.
- Martinkus, John A Dirty Little War: An Eyewitness Account of East Timor’s Descent into Hell, 1997-2000. Foreword by Xanana Gusmao. Random House Australia, 2001. 428 pages.
- Nevins, Joseph Pembantaian Timor Timur: Horor Masyarakat Internasional. Galangpress, Yogyakarta, 2008. 375 hal.
- Nevins, Joseph A Not-So-Distant Horror: Mass Violence in East Timor. Cornell University Press, New York, 2005.
- Niner, Sarah Xanana: Leader of the Struggle for Independent Timor-Leste. Australian Scholarly Publishing, Melbourne, 2009. 296 pages.
- Patrick Burgess and Galuh Wandita, “Reaching Out to Victims and Communities: The CAVR’s Experiences in Timor-Leste,” in Transitional Justice, Culture, and Society: Beyond Outreach, Clara Ramírez-Barat (ed.), Colombia University Press, 2014
- PCAVR The History of Timor-Leste in Posters
A collection in book form of CAVR’s much admired historical poster series. The series depict in full colour collage format the history of Timor-Leste from Portuguese times to 1999. Each of the 20 posters is accompanied by a brief commentary in Tetum, Portuguese, Indonesian and English. Ideal for teaching Timor’s history. Available online: www.cavr-timorleste.org
- Post-CAVR Technical Secretariat, Self-Determination in East Timor (Extract from Chega!, the Report of the Timor-Leste Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation (CAVR). Published August 2009 to mark 10th Anniversary of the 30 August 1999 Popular Consultation. 168 pages.
- Pour, Julius Benny Moerdani: Profil Prajurit Negarawan. Yayasan Kejuangan Panglima Besar Sudirman, Jakarta. 1993.
- Ramos-Horta, Jose Funu: The Unfinished Saga of East Timor. The Red Sea Press, 1987. 207 pages.
- Rei, Naldo Resistance: A Childhood Fighting for East Timor. UQP, St Lucia. 2007
- Robinson, Geoffrey ‘If You Leave Us Here, We Will Die’: How Genocide Was Stopped in East Timor Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 2010. 319 pages.
- Secretariado Tecnico Pos-CAVR, Istoria Timor-Leste husi Poster CAVR. Dili, 2008. Tetum, Indonesian, Portuguese, English. Dili, 2008. 47 pages. Available online: www.cavr-timorleste.org
- Sword Gusmao, Kirsty A Woman of Independence: a Story of Love and the Birth of a New Nation. Macmillan, 2003. 320 pages.
- Tanter, R and G van Klinken and Des Ball (eds.) Masters of Terror: Indonesia’s Military and Violence in East Timor. Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham. 2006.
- Tanter, Richard and SR Shalom, M Selden (eds) Bitter Flowers, Sweet Flowers: East Timor, Indonesia and the World Community. Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham. 2001.
- Taylor, John G. The Indonesian Occupation of East Timor 1974-1989: A Chronology. Catholic Institute for International Relations (CIIR), 1990. 102 pages.
- Tukan, Peter Rekonsiliasi Yang Tidak Tuntas, Duri Kemerdekaan Timor Timur. Verbum Publishing, Jakarta, 2007. 231 hal.
- Van Klinken, Helene. Making Them Indonesians: Child Transfers Out of East Timor. Monash University Publishing, Melbourne, 2012. 212 pages.
- Van Klinken, Helene. Anak-Anak Tim-Tim di Indonesia: Sebuah Cermin Masa Kelam. KPG (Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia), Jakarta,2014. 354 hal.
- Vatikiotis, Michael. Indonesian Politics Under Suharto: the Rise and Fall of the New Order. Taylor and Francis, 2004. 272 pages.
- Walsh, Pat. At the Scene of the Crime: Essays, Reflections and Poetry on East Timor 1999-2010. Mosaic Press, Melbourne, 2011. 315 pages.
- Walsh, Pat. Di Tempat Kejadian Perkara: Tulisan, Refleksi dan Puisi Tentang Timor-Leste, 1999-2010. KPG, Jakarta 2012. 408 pages.
- Walsh, Pat. Thunder in the silent zone : The Chega! and Per Memoriam reports in Indonesia. University of Melbourne, 4 June 2015. 6 Pages. Download here
- Wanandi, Yusuf (2002). Shades of Grey: a Political Memoir of Modern Indonesia 1965–1998. Wanandi was a key adviser to both Suharto and Australia on East Timor during the war and his memoir includes extensive reference to the issue. On page 218 he writes: ‘Instead of giving the people of East Timor rights and a decent life when we ‘liberated’ them from ‘Portuguese colonialism’, we made them our colonial subjects for over 20 years and imposed on them so much misery and abuse’.
- www.istoriaku.org Established to help those who are searching for missing family members, the site contains stories of the separation and transfer of East Timorese children and their parents.
- Australian Support for Victims of Historic Crimes in Timor-Leste and Related Matters. Submission to 2013 Australian Parliamentary Inquiry into Australia’s Relationship with Timor-Leste. For pdf go to Mr Pat Walsh, La’o Hamutuk.
- CAVR archives
Post-CAVR Technical Secretariat, ex Balide Comarca (Prison), Rua Balide, Dili.
- Clearing House for Archival Records on Timor (CHART)
Melbourne, Australia. Website: timorarchives.wordpress.com Email: email@example.com
- Burgess, Patrick A New Approach to Restorative Justice – East Timor’s Community Reconciliation Processes In Naomi Roht-Arriaza and Javier Mariezcurrena, Ed., Transitional Justice in the Twenty-First Century, Beyond Truth versus Justice. Cambridge, New York: Cambridge University Press. 2006. pp. 176 – 205.
- Burgess, Patrick Justice and Reconciliation in East Timor. The Relationship Between the Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation and the Courts Professor William Schabas and Shane Darcy, Truth Commissions And Courts: The Tension Between Criminal Justice and the Search for Truth. 2004. pp 135-158
- Galuh Wandita Left over from death : justice for Timorese women raped by Indonesian militias. Inside Indonesia, no. 66, Apr-June 2001, p. 18-19.
Available online: http://www.insideindonesia.org/weekly-articles/left-over-from-death
- Harrington, Andrew The Commission of Truth and Friendship Indonesia-Timor Leste: Competing Concepts of Justice. East Timor Law Journal 7, pp 1 – 29. 2007.
- Harris Rimmer, Susan ‘Orphans’ or Veterans? Justice for Children Born of War in East Timor. Texas International Law Journal 42 (2), pp 323-44. 2007
- Harris Rimmer, Susan The Roman Catholic Church and the Rights of East Timorese Women. Carolyn Evans and Amanda Whiting (eds.). Mixed Blessings: Laws, Religions and Women’s Rights in the Asia-Pacific Region. Brill, The Hague, 2006. Pp 654-701
- Hirst, Megan and Howard Varney Justice Abandoned? An Assessment of the Serious Crimes Process in East Timor. ICTJ Occasional Paper Series, New York, 2005.
- Human Rights Quarterly, Volume 34 (4) November 2012
- Inside Indonesia, no. 66, Apr-June 2001, p. 18-19.
- Kent, Lia Interrogating the “Gap” Between Law and Justice: East Timor’s Serious Crimes Process
- Kent, Lia The Dynamics of Transitional Justice: International Models and Local Realities in East Timor. Routledge, 2012. 242 pages
- Kent, Lia Local Memory Practices in East Timor: Disrupting Transitional Justice Narratives. The International Journal of Transitional Justice. Oxford University Press. 2011.
2009. 111 minutes. Directed by Robert Connolly.
Australian made political thriller, starring Anthony Lapaglia and Oscar Isaac, that tells the story of the 5 Australian based journalists murdered at Balibo on the West Timor border during the first stage of the Indonesian invasion.
- Bloodshot: the Dreams and Nightmares of East Timor
90 mins. Director by Peter A Gordon. Widerview Productions
Documentary on East Timor’s independence struggle featuring Xanana Gusmao, Kirsty Sword, Max Stahl and others.
- Beatriz’s War
East Timor’s Historic First Feature Film. More information..
- Dalan ba Dame (Road to Peace)
CAVR, Dili, 2009.75 mins. Tetum, sub-titled in Portuguese, Indonesian, English. Includes teacher notes.
Tells the story of East Timor from Portuguese times to liberation in 1999 drawing on historic footage and personal testimonies to CAVR.
- East Timor: Birth of a Nation
Film Australia, 2002. Director: Luigi Acquisto.
Two one-hour documentaries. Episode One: Rosa’s Story. About a young Timorese widow who rebuilds her family’s life in Dili after she retrieved three of her children from orphanages. Episode Two: Lu’Olo’s Story. About the transition of Francisco Lu’Olo Guterres, now President of Fretilin, from guerrilla warfare to politician.
- Peluncuran diskusi Chega!
2010. Perpustakaan Nasional, Jakarta
Hasil rekaman dari peluncuran dan diskusi buku Chega! yang dilaksanakan oleh KPG dan PCAVR, 7 Oktober 2010 di Jakarta. Peserta: Usman Hamid (Kontras), Benny K Harman (Ketua Komisi III DPR), Hilmar Farid (Sejarawan).